The Prince William County Department of Public Works is seeking candidates for seasonal employment to assist the Mosquito and Forest Pest Management Branch with mosquito surveillance and forest pest related activities. Work will be performed in a variety of functions and will be mostly outdoors. Typical tasks will include, but are not limited to, mosquito surveillance, forest pest monitoring, tree identification and outreach/education; some lab work sorting of mosquitoes and forest pest insects will be involved. Training will be provided.
General Duties and Responsibilities
• Sets out and collects adult mosquito traps in an accurate and timely manner
• Sorts adult mosquitoes and prepares specimens for lab identification and testing
• Assists with visual tree surveys and tree identification
• Conducts trapping and surveillance for a variety of forest pests including Spotted Lanternfly
• Locates, identifies and monitors larval mosquito habitat
• Maintains and inventories assigned equipment
• Organizes trap equipment daily and safely transports equipment to trap sites
• Utilizes and enters data into a comprehensive database
• Conducts site visits relating to mosquito and forest pest inquiries
• Educates the general public through a variety of outreach/education adult and child activities
• Performs other duties as assigned
• Must be 18 years of age or older
• Must have a valid driver’s license with a clean driving record
• Must possess a High School Diploma or equivalent (GED)
• Must be able to communicate effectively in English
• This position is scheduled Monday through Friday for 37.5 hours per week (flexible schedule may be accommodated). The selected candidate will work out of the Mosquito and Forest Pest Management Building located just south of Manassas, VA in Prince William County.
• Some college coursework in a related field (Biology, Environmental Science, Forestry, Agricultural, etc.)
• Experience performing duties outdoors in a variety of terrain and weather conditions
• Experience working independently
• Experience with collecting data in the field
• Ability to identify tree species native to Virginia
Salary & Benefits
• $14-$18/hour based on relevant education and experience
• No benefits; however, college students may be eligible to apply for college credit
• Work uniforms will be provided
To apply, please send resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information, please call 703-792-6279.